Chicken Stew with Vegetables
Onion – 1 big, chopped
Garlic cloves – 7 to 8 cloves, chopped
Potato – 2, cubed
Carrot – ½ cup
Broccoli – ½ cup
Beans – ½ cup
Peas – ¼ cup
Celery – 2 to 3 to stalks, cut into two inch pieces
Chicken – 200 gm, cleaned and cut in small pieces
Chicken Stock – 2 to 3 cups
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 tablespoon
Parsley (dry) – 1 teaspoon
Thyme (dry) – 1 teaspoon
Parsley (fresh) – A handful
Bay Leaf – 2
Olive Oil – 2 to 3 tablespoons
Salt – To Taste
Pepper – To Taste
- Pat the chicken dry on a paper towel and sprinkle salt, pepper, dried parsley and thyme. Add in the flour and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a deep-dish pan and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the cubed potatoes and peas and sauté for a couple of minutes more.
- Add the chicken and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the meat starts to turn brown.
- Turn the heat down and pour in the chicken stock. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Add the carrots, celery stalk, bay leaf and cook for 10-15 minutes on low-to-medium heat.
- Add the beans and cook for another 10-12 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove from fire and let it stand for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with whole wheat or multigrain bread.
Don’t eat an egg because it’s bad for your heart
Eggs do contain a fair bit of cholesterol but that doesn’t mean you have to skip them entirely. Remember, eggs are a rich source of proteins and contain Vitamins A, D & E. Indulge in them sparingly (like twice a week) and you’re good.
Eating mangoes can cause pimples and rash
Unless you happen to be allergic to mangoes, there’s no reason to fear. In any case, pimples and acne are usually caused by a bacterial infection and have no connection with any food group. And mangoes are actually good for your skin as they are rich in Vitamins A & E.
Avoid banana, grapes & chikoo if you’re diabetic
People with diabetes need to watch their carbohydrates intake, irrespective of where this comes from. The only disadvantage of a high-carbohydrate fruit is that you get to eat a smaller portion. So while you may be able to consume a cup or two of watermelon or orange, you can eat only half a cup of chikoo or grapes.